Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tea Time - 48 in 48

Traveling for treasures is a large part of what keeps arOka unique. Last summer I stayed over in Dawson Creek, BC and of course did some local hunting. I purchased some lovely vintage gloves, jewelry, a bundle of lacy table linens and surprisingly, a tea cup. How sweet that one little tea cup was...my favorite colour turquoise, dainty hand painted flowers and all that gold. I just had to have it!

I couldn't stop admiring the gorgeous details of my new treasure and it was then and there that I knew the beauty of fine china had to become a large part of the arOka experience! Why? First of all because they are so charming! Secondly because I knew there was no way to access the large quantity needed for an event or wedding. Lastly because of the price. Yes anyone can buy a tea cup. I purchased mine for $25. Not bad for one very special piece but if I were having a wedding or event that number would jump to thousands of dollars. It just made sense that fine china was another collection arOka could share with others.  

I went back to all the shops in Dawson Creek that day and purchased a few pieces. When I left for William's Lake the next morning I had 5 new tea cups - a great start! It took 2 days of shopping, driving and more shopping to make it home to New Westminster. I was excited how full my little SUV was - stuffed to the brim with bags and boxes of sweet little tea cups! The next morning I unwrapped, washed, dried, photographed and inventoried each one. I started the complete count (for the sheer pleasure of seeing what I had actually accomplished in those 2 days)... 1, 2, 11, 23, 34, 40, 48!!! I had collected 48 beautiful tea cups in 48 hours!

Since that glorious "ah ha" moment in Dawson Creek, arOka's tea cup inventory has  grown to hundreds of pieces including plates, serving trays, tea pots, cream & sugar sets, cute silver spoons, coffee pots and many others.
I have fallen deeply in love with the charm, artistry and dainty features of each and every piece I hand pick. Casually stacked,  formally placed or used as artistic centre pieces, they make a beautiful addition to any table setting. 

I am now working on a collaboration with a yummy local baker and tea shop! Traditional afternoon tea at the boutique is on the agenda for the coming months. Stay tuned for more details!

If you are planning your own tea party, an event or wedding and would like more details about inventory, rates and availability we'd be pleased to oblige! You can call us at 778-397-7999, email us here or visit the boutique here.

I must run now, my tea has steeped ;) 
xoxo
Dawna
Creative Curator



1 comment:

  1. I love your collection! I do all of my tea party shopping second hand and love the look of china that doesn't match! A lot more magical that way :)

    http://whatchafind.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/painting_the_roses_red/

    Angela

    ReplyDelete